Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Injections: Regenerating Hair Growth & New Skin
What is platelet-rich plasma – Before defining it, we must know its components.
Plasma is the liquid portion of whole blood and is composed mainly of water and proteins. Platelets or thrombocytes are blood cells responsible for blood coagulation and the healing and growth of cells and tissues.
PRP is a blood derivative capable of stimulating the production of collagen, elastin, and epidermal tissue. It is an aesthetic treatment with multiple benefits.
How is platelet-rich plasma used?
First, a blood sample is taken from the patient’s arm; then, the blood is placed in a centrifuge that separates the blood components. After this, a technologist prepares the separated plasma by mixing it with vitamins to activate the platelets. Finally, the doctor injects it into the skin of the face or scalp.
By being in contact with these new platelets, the skin creates more collagen and elastin, causing cellular regeneration in the face and recovering the skin’s natural firmness.
What are platelet-rich plasma injections used for?
The most popular are for aesthetic purposes, this is just a list of few among them:
PRP is useful for preventing hair loss and promoting hair growth. Both women and men benefit from this since its application at the level of the hair area will stimulate the production of elastin, collagen, and hyaluronic acid, which will increase vascularization at the level of the hair follicle, so it can be a great ally to stop hair loss and enhance its regeneration in patients who present moderate hair loss.
Face & Skin
The boost of collagen to the face and skin creates improvements that regenerate the appearance and health around the neck, neckline, face and hands. The more common focus areas would be the face, the cheeks, and eye contour since its regenerative power improves the effect of premature facial ageing.
What are its benefits?
PRP must contain high concentrations of platelets, at least four times higher than those found in whole blood, to get maximum benefits. The major benefits of PRP are:
- Collagen stimulation and renewal.
- Dermal thickening.
- Stimulate fat growth. Improving the volume that has been lost because of fat atrophy.
- Improve expression lines, blemishes, superficial scars. PRP contains a series of proteins that enhance cell regeneration and promote repair.
- Promotes elastin production and reduces skin flaccidity. It helps to tone and recover the firmness that you may have lost over the years.
- Stimulates hair growth. Because of its repairing power, it helps to strengthen the hair roots in the scalp.
- Prevents skin alterations. Helps to delay skin ageing.
What are its advantages?
The primary advantage is that this treatment will not generate rejection in the patient since it is from their blood, so we currently consider the PRP one of the best anti-ageing treatments.
Other advantages include:
- Short recovery time with long-term benefits.
- Natural-looking results.
- No trauma to the treated area.
- Satisfactory results.